Search Search Toggle
Slider Accent

Comm. Dev. Grant Programs

Grant Programs
The Community Development Office administers the City’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds.  These funds, provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), allow the City to assist low-to-moderate income citizens of New Bern in improving their quality of life through vital housing and community development programs.  Programs include rehabilitation of owner-occupied single family housing, assistance to nonprofit agencies for public service project, and construction of affordable housing through CBDG activities. For more information about Community Development Grant Programs, please call or Email D'Aja Fulmore at (252)639-7586.

The City of New Bern has prepared its FY 2019-2023 Five Year Consolidated Plan and FY 2019 Annual Action plan. These plans are required by HUD so the City can receive its Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds. The City has retained a planning consulting firm, Urban Design Ventures, LLC, to assist in the preparation of these planning documents.  Surveys identifying resources and unmet needs have been collected and the information is being evaluated.  

The City of New Bern is required to adopt a Citizen Participation Plan that meets HUD's minimum requirements as set forth in the regulations for "Consolidated Submission for Community Planning and Development Programs" (24 CFR 91 Subpart B). The Citizen Participation Plan provides for and encourages citizens, organizations, businesses and other stakeholders to participate in the development of the Consolidated Plan, any substantial amendments to consolidated plan, and the annual performance report. This plan describes how the City of New Bern encourages and promotes participation through the establishment of policies and procedures for participation in the implementation of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG).  Please click on the link below for more information:
Amended 2020 Community Development Block Grant Citizen Participation Plan 

Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER)
In accordance with the Federal regulations found in 24 CFR Part 570, the City of New Bern, North Carolina has prepared this Draft Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) for the period of July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022. The CAPER describes the activities undertaken during this time period for funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG). The projects/activities and accomplishments described in this CAPER principally benefit low- and moderate-income persons and the funding has been targeted to neighborhoods where there is the highest percentage of low- and moderate-income residents in the City of New Bern. The following is the overall program narrative based on the Five Year Consolidated Plan and Annual Action Plans, as amended.

2023 CDBG Public Needs Hearing JPG

Helpful Documents
2014-2019 CDBG Consolidated Plan and 2014 Annual Action Plan
2016-2017 Annual Action Plan
2016-2017 Public Services Application
CDBG Application for Community Based Development Organization
CDBG Citizen Participation Plan Amended May 12, 2020
CDBG FY 2020 Annual Action Plan
CDBG FY2021 Annual Action Plan
CDBG FY2022 Annual Action Plan
CDBG Housing Minor Rehabilitation Program Suspended Letter 
CDBG Minor Rehabilitation Program Policy and Procedures  

Substantial Amendments for FY 2016, 2017, 2018 Annual Action Plans, please see links below:

Previous Community Development Projects 
Construction of New Single Family Housing by CBDO Environmental Review
Lawson Creek Neighborhood Sidewalk Installation Environmental Review
Sunshades Environmental Review