Search Search Toggle
Slider Accent


c7ee8eb27a08b18713a400d57e28ff17_f788The Inspections Division is responsible for permitting, inspecting and code compliance of all building construction (new, renovation, repairs, etc.) within the city limits and extra-territorial jurisdiction of the City of New Bern. In addition, this division enforces nuisance abatement, minimum housing code and the FEMA Flood Program. Building permits are required for most building projects that include structural, electrical, mechanical, plumbing or gas.  For additional information contact us at (252)639-2942.

Notice of Fee Schedule Changes
Effective July 1, 2023
Click here to view

Building Permit Reports
Inspections Annual Financial Report
Annual Building Report 2017
Annual Building Report 2016
New Bern 2015 Permits Interactive Story Maps are available here

Permits Required
Click here to download Permit Applications 

Required for structural work or project cost equal to or greater than $15,000.00 and accessory structures that are 12' or greater in any dimension.

Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing & Insulation
Required for any new construction, renovations, and rehabilitation of residential and commercial.

Required for gas lines and appliances, when applicable.

Any development within 75' of an Area of Environmental Concern.

Floodplain (only properties that are identified as being in a floodplain require permits)
Any new construction or renovation costing more than 50% of the value of the property.

Get a complimentary Flood Risk Evaluation report:
 - (877)441-8368


Nuisance Abatement
The Inspections Division is responsible for the enforcement of the nuisance abatement ordinances of the city. This program is designed to rid the city of accumulations of excess debris on vacant and occupied lots, high grass and weeds, and junk vehicles. A citizen may file a complaint by downloading and completing the complaint form. For more information call (252)639-2944.

Minimum Housing Code
The minimum housing code ordinance regulates properties that are deteriorated or dilapidated and unfit for habitation. The intent of the program is to ensure that the city’s housing is safe, sound and decent for those living there. Property owners are given notice and specific time frames to make necessary repairs. A citizen may file a complaint by emailing Patrick Ezel Inspector & Minimum Housing/Residential Officer, or by calling (252)639-2943.