|Current openings and employment applications can be found and filled out online on our Career Opportunities page. (PLEASE NOTE: This off-site link may not work correctly with Internet Explorer. If you see zero job listings for the entire City, please try using Chrome, Firefox or Safari to view the page.)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the City's Human Resources Department at (252) 639-7571.
Once the closing date for an available position has passed, all applications are forwarded to the City of New Bern Human Resources Department. New Bern Fire-Rescue offers a competitive salary and employee benefits package.
Training and Hiring RequirementsAll new hire candidates must complete a screening process of employment involving multiple steps. The first step is the application process. Candidates selected from the application pool must then complete a Physical Agility Test. Qualifying candidates then move on to the oral interview portion of the hiring process. This includes general knowledge requirements and scenario-based interviews. Qualifying candidates from this stage are then eligible for hire.
If you would like to become a New Bern Fire-Rescue Volunteer Firefighter, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time you apply
- Live within a 30-minutes drive from Headquarters Station (1401 Neuse Blvd.)
- Must be available for 12-24 hour shift work
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must successfully pass a medical/drug screening
- Must complete a volunteer application (available at Headquarters Station, 1401 Neuse Blvd.)
- Must obtain a criminal background record check (see below)
- Must obtain a driving record abstract (see below)
- Agility Test - See information here
For your convenience, we have listed the contact information below for obtaining this information. Once you have your driving record and background check, please deliver your complete application package, in person, to the Headquarters Fire Station, located at 1401 Neuse Boulevard.
|CRIMINAL BACKGROUND RECORD||DRIVING RECORD ABSTRACT|
|Craven County Courthouse||Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)|
Clerk of Courts Office
Fee: $25.00 (Cash)
You have 2 options, online and in-person.
You may also pick up a "Certified true copy" at your local DMV. You will receive it immediately after paying the $15.00 fee.