Fire Protection System Permits
Download Fire Protection Systems Permit Application and Technical Bulletin
Note: Effective January 1, 2021, due to a General Statute change, all Fire Protection System permits expire within 6 months of issuance, unless work is started within those six months. As long as work is ongoing, permit will not expire. If, after starting work, work stops, permitee has 12 months to resume work. If work is not resumed, permit will expire.
Please email your application, plans and any other documents to FirePlans@newbernnc.gov.
Fire protection system permits allow an applicant to install or modify systems and equipment. Where more than one permit is required for the same location, a consolidated permit can be issued for the address, provided that each provision is list on the permit. Systems that require this type of permit, along with the *fees for the permit include, but are not limited to:
- Fire Alarms - $100.00 for permit + $50.00 for plan review
- Fire Mains - $100.00 for permit + $50.00 for plan review + $2 per foot of pipe installed - fee updated July 2021
- Hood Systems - $100.00 for permit + $50.00 for plan review or manufacturer's spec
- Standpipes - $100.00 for permit + $50.00 for plan review
- Sprinkler Systems - $100.00 for permit PER SYSTEM + $50 for plan review + $2.00 per sprinkler head PER SYSTEM
- Other related systems
If you are submitting physical plans rather than digital ones, you must submit three (3) sets of sealed drawings and the proper construction documents as set forth in the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code Section 907. No fire alarm system permits shall be issued by the City of New Bern Fire Prevention Bureau without these.
Construction documents shall include, but not be limited to, all of the following:
- A floor plan which indicates the use of all rooms
- Locations of alarm-initiating and notification appliances
- Alarm control and trouble signaling equipment
- Power connection
- Battery calculations
- Conductor type and sizes
- Voltage drop calculations
- Manufacturers, model numbers and listing information for equipment, devices and materials
- Details of ceiling height and construction
- The interface of fire safety control functions
Permits issued shall be kept on the premises designated therein at all times and shall be readily available for inspection.