How do I contact the Technology and Records Unit?
- Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 6 PM. Administrative Offices are closed for the City of New Bern Holidays.
- The telephone number for the front desk is 252-672-4100.
- The after-hours and non-emergency number is 252-633-2020
Can I get fingerprints at the Police Department?
- Fingerprints are done on Wednesdays, from 9 AM – 12 PM and 1 PM – 4 PM.
- Cost is $10, payable in cash or check.
- Call 252-672-4100 prior to coming to the Police Department to confirm that fingerprinting services are available.
How do I get a copy of a police report?
- Vehicle crash reports, incident reports, and case reports are available by coming to the Police Department Technology and Records Unit, or by calling 252-672-4100. Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 6 PM.
- You will be asked to provide your name, date, time and location of the incident and the report number if known.
- There is no charge for a police report.
Can I file a police report on-line?
- Yes, you can file a police report online for certain crime types: Damage to Motor Vehicle, Damage to Property, Harassing Phone Calls, Lost/Missing Property, and Theft.
Follow the instructions on the web link is listed below: https://www.newbernnc.gov/departments/police_department/report_a_crime_online.php
Can I make an appointment with the Chief?
- Contact the Chief’s Office, 252-672-4190 to set up an appointment.
How do I get my property returned from the Police Department?
- Property Unit staff returns property at the Police Department Monday – Wednesday, and Friday from 8 AM – 4 PM. The Property Unit is closed on Thursday.
- Call 252-672-4154 prior to coming to the Police Department to confirm that Property Unit Staff is available and that your property is eligible for release.
- You may also call 252-672-4154 to set up an appointment with the Property Unit staff or to ask any property specific questions.
How do I get an address verification letter?
- Contact the GIS Technician at 252-672-4107 and request the letter.
How do I take out charges against a person?
- File a police report.
- Take the police report to the Magistrate’s Office, 1100 Clarks Rd. (Sheriff’s Office) and request to file charges.
- Depending on the severity of the case, the reporting Officer may be able to file the charges.
- Magistrate’s phone number is 252-639-3015 if there are additional questions.
Do you take expired or unused prescription medication?
- A medication disposal box is located in the front of the Police Department on the porch and behind the flagpoles.
- Medication can be deposited at any time.
- Do not place needles or other “sharps” material in the disposal box. Those items should be disposed of in a “sharps” designated container.
How do I register for the homeless shelter?
- Come to the Police Department with a valid ID.
- You will be asked to complete paperwork prior to being accepted at the shelter.
- If accepted, an Officer will provide an escort to the shelter.
- The shelter does not answer phone calls until 6 PM.
How do I get in touch with the Clerk of Court or the Magistrate's Office?
- Clerk of Court – Civil 252-639-3000
- Clerk of Court – Criminal 252-639-3009
- Clerk of Court – Traffic 252-639-3009
- DA’s Office 252-639-3010
- Magistrate’s Office 252-639-3015