How do I contact the Technology and Records Unit?
- Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 6 PM. Administrative Offices are closed for the City of New Bern Holidays.
- The telephone number for the front desk is 252-672-4100.
- The after-hours and non-emergency number is 252-633-2020
Can I get fingerprints at the Police Department?
- Fingerprints are done on Wednesdays, from 9 AM – 12 PM and 1 PM – 4 PM.
- Cost is $10, payable in cash or check.
- Call 252-672-4100 prior to coming to the Police Department to confirm that fingerprinting services are available.
“Until further notice the police department will no longer be providing fingerprinting services. Please contact Havelock Police Department or Craven County Sheriff Office.”
How do I get a copy of a police report?
- Vehicle crash reports, incident reports, and case reports are available by coming to the Police Department Technology and Records Unit, or by calling 252-672-4100. Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 6 PM.
- You will be asked to provide your name, date, time and location of the incident and the report number if known.
- There is no charge for a police report.
Can I file a police report on-line?
- Yes, you can file a police report online for certain crime types: Damage to Motor Vehicle, Damage to Property, Harassing Phone Calls, Lost/Missing Property, and Theft.
Follow the instructions on the web link is listed below: https://www.newbernnc.gov/departments/police_department/report_a_crime_online.php
Can I make an appointment with the Chief?
- Contact the Chief’s Office, 252-672-4190 to set up an appointment.
How do I get my property returned from the Police Department?
- Property Unit staff returns property at the Police Department Monday – Wednesday, and Friday from 8 AM – 4 PM. The Property Unit is closed on Thursday.
- Call 252-672-4154 prior to coming to the Police Department to confirm that Property Unit Staff is available and that your property is eligible for release.
- You may also call 252-672-4154 to set up an appointment with the Property Unit staff or to ask any property specific questions.
How do I get an address verification letter?
- Contact the GIS Technician at 252-672-4107 and request the letter.
How do I take out charges against a person?
- File a police report.
- Take the police report to the Magistrate’s Office, 1100 Clarks Rd. (Sheriff’s Office) and request to file charges.
- Depending on the severity of the case, the reporting Officer may be able to file the charges.
- Magistrate’s phone number is 252-639-3015 if there are additional questions.
Do you take expired or unused prescription medication?
- A medication disposal box is located in the front of the Police Department on the porch and behind the flagpoles.
- Medication can be deposited at any time.
- Do not place needles or other “sharps” material in the disposal box. Those items should be disposed of in a “sharps” designated container.
How do I register for the homeless shelter?
- Come to the Police Department with a valid ID.
- You will be asked to complete paperwork prior to being accepted at the shelter.
- If accepted, an Officer will provide an escort to the shelter.
- The shelter does not answer phone calls until 6 PM.
How do I get in touch with the Clerk of Court or the Magistrate's Office?
- Clerk of Court – Civil 252-639-3000
- Clerk of Court – Criminal 252-639-3009
- Clerk of Court – Traffic 252-639-3009
- DA’s Office 252-639-3010
- Magistrate’s Office 252-639-3015