Click here to view the entire list of Executive Orders issued by the State of NC
5/26/2020 Daily Case Count of COVID-19 in Craven County
Request a Payment Plan for Your Utility Bill
Apply for a Street Cafe Permit
Click here to Apply for Unemployment
SBA: Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources and FACT SHEET on Economic Injury Disaster Loans
Business Link NC: Relief Resources, 800-228-8443, Lenders, grants, layoff aversion, unemployment insurance claims
Amended City of New Bern: Proclamation of State of Emergency
The City is taking proactive measures to protect the health and well-being of its citizens. Changes to our normal way of providing such services must be modified to protect our citizens and staff.
- Temporary modifications to downtown parking have been made to accommodate curbside pickup of restaurant orders. Downtown parking will continue to be enforced Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm, during the City's State of Emergency. Click here to see the temporary parking modifications.
- Street Cafe Permits are now available for restaurants who wish to serve patrons outdoors during Phase 2 of the State's reopening plan. Visit the Public Works Streets Division webpage for an application and information on the City's amended ordinance. In the downtown area, the City has agreed to close portions of streets on Friday & Saturday nights from 5pm-11pm so that tables & chairs may be set up for outdoor dining. These street closures include: 200-300 blocks of Middle Street, 200 block of Craven Street from Morgan's Tavern & Grill to Pollock Street, and the 300 block of Pollock Street. Restaurants with sufficient greenspace or parking lots may also serve outdoors with an approved site plan. Call Development Services (252)639-7581 for information.
- City Hall, (252)636-4000, located at 300 Pollock St., is closed to the public. All business should be conducted electronically (phone, email, fax). In-person meetings are restricted to those initiated by city staff or the Board of Aldermen. Attendance at approved meetings will be limited to city staff & a limited number of participants only, unless otherwise directed. Requests for meetings should be made electronically along with the reason for the meeting & number of participants. Staff will review the request & either confirm or deny the meeting.
- Public safety facilities, (252)633-2020 New Bern PD non-emergency or (252)639-2931 New Bern Fire-Rescue non-emergency, are closed to the public; all business should be conducted electronically (phone, fax, email). If you are in need of emergency assistance, call 9-1-1.
- The Utility Business Office, (252)639-2750, located at 606 Ft. Totten Drive, is closed to walk-in service. Call (252)639-2750 for assistance. Pay your bill using direct mail (PO Box 63005, Charlotte, NC 28263), online services, Walmart locations, or the drive-through or dropbox located at the rear of the building. Please be aware the traffic pattern at the Utility Business Office has changed in an effort to make it easier to get in, pay your bill, and get out. Enter from Neuse Boulevard (near Family Dollar) and follow the cones to enter the drive-thru lanes. Requests for new service can be arranged online or over the phone. Residential shutoffs for nonpayment & late fees are being suspended for 60 days in compliance with the Governor's Executive Order 124 effective March 31, 2020. Payment arrangements can be made by phone. If you pay in person at the Utility Business Office, please pay by check.
- Parks & Recreation Administration, (252)639-2901, is closed to the public. West New Bern Recreation Center is closed to the public. All city parks remain open during normal business hours, however all New Bern Parks and Recreation basketball courts, playgrounds, and shelters are closed until further notice. Please maintain social distancing when using city parks. All organized Parks & Rec activities, programs, special events, youth & adult sports are suspended until further notice. For Parks & Rec related questions, call (252)639-2901. Cemetery services will continue to process requests, however, all services will be provided electronically until in-person services are required. Call (252)639-2904 for more information.
- Development Services, (252)639-7581, located at 303 First St., is closed to the public. Visit the table in the foyer of the building where all permits, plans & application packets can be dropped off along with payment (checks only). All permit applications are available online. Paper copies are available in the foyer. All inspections processes will be conducted normally. We respectfully request that attendance at on-site inspections be limited to the inspector unless otherwise directed. For permitting & inspection questions, call (252)639-2942 or 2945. Paperwork can be emailed with the project address & permit type in the subject line to email@example.com. Planning & zoning questions can be directed to (252)639-7581 or 7587. Attendance at any on-site inspections will be limited to city staff only unless otherwise directed.
- Human Resources, (252)639-7571, located at 303 First St., is closed to the public. Employment applications will be processed as normal. In-person interviews have been suspended, however, other technological means of communication may be utilized to perform interviews. Employees can still access HR for their needs. For questions regarding HR matters, call (252)639-7571.
- For any matters of concern or questions regarding these modifications, call City Hall at (252)636-4000.