Search Search Toggle
Slider Accent

Residential Collection Guidelines

The City of New Bern does not collect discarded electronics (computers, TVs, printers, etc.) for disposal. Find out where to take them by clicking here.

Route Map Schedule (interactive citizen information map)

Collection Guidelines:

Household Garbage

Acceptable: Household garbage, glass, waxed food cartons,  juice cartons, pots or pans, Styrofoam, broken dishes or ceramics, light bulbs, plastic grocery bags.

Unacceptable: Hazardous materials, motor oil, paints, discarded TVs or computers (electronics).

*Place your city trash cart out for weekly service, away from objects such as vehicles, mailboxes or fences, guide wires or other utilities no later than 6 AM on your scheduled pickup day. Bagged trash in excess of your city trash cart must have a Craven County trash sticker on the bag for collection. Please contact our City of New Bern Public Works Solid Waste Division for assistance if needed (252) 639-7501.


Acceptable: Clean glass containers (clear, brown and/or green), aluminum beverage cans, newspapers, plastic milk jugs, plastic drink bottles, food cans, envelopes, paper bags, writing paper, copy paper, magazines, colored ledger paper, chipboard, detergent boxes, cereal boxes, tissue boxes and empty dry, uncontaminated corrugated cardboard, broken down/flattened to fit in cart.

Unacceptable: Plastic bags, frozen food containers, waxed food and juice cartons, shredded paper, loose trash, clothes, yard waste or other non-recycling materials, broken glass, light bulbs and Styrofoam.

*Place your recycle cart out for monthly service no later than 6 AM on your scheduled pickup day. Your monthly Craven County recycle schedule is available at or call (252)636-6659. If you have excess recyclables that do not fit in recycle cart you may take them to the Craven County Convenience Center or place in recycle cart when empty for next service date. You may also request additional recycle cart for a yearly fee by contacting GFL Environmental at (252)638-1366.