Search Search Toggle
Slider Accent

Trash & Recycling

Interactive Citizen Information Map:
Route Map Schedule

Residential Rates

65-Gallon Roll-Out Cart

(Once-a-week pickup)

Monthly Residential
Refuse Rate:

$19.00 - Regular Residential
$9.50 - Senior Citizen Discount
(Must qualify for this discount by applying for the State of North Carolina-Craven
County Exclusion for Property Tax Relief for Elderly and
Permanently Disabled Persons at the Craven County Tax Office)

Back Door Cart Service - if a resident requires back door cart service due to medical reasons,
the resident must contact the Public Works Department at (252)639-7501 between 8am and
5pm Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). The resident is required to submit a letter of
request along with doctor's note to the Public Works Department, located at 1004 South
Glenburnie Road. The letter must include the resident's name, address and contact information
to confirm that their City of New Bern utility account is active.  Once back door cart service is
approved, service will begin on the resident's next scheduled service day. The cart must be kept
accessible outside the home with lid closed and not within an enclosed area. 

Commercial Rates
Must have active city utility account for service, (252)639-2750 & must rent container from vendor of your choice. Please contact Public Works to request trash services (252)639-7501.
2 CY
4 CY
6 CY
8 CY

Hand Commercial Cart Fees
65-Gallon Roll-Out Cart $19.00 per month for 1x week service (no rental fee for cart) provided by City's sanitation service provider.

*Rates effective as of July 1, 2023

Household Garbage
Acceptable Items: 
Household garbage, glass, waxed food and juice cartons, pots or pans, styrofoam, broken dishes or ceramics, light bulbs, plastic grocery bags

Unacceptable Items:
Hazardous materials, motor oil, paints, discarded TVs or computers

*Place GDS cart away from vehicles or fences, no later than 6:00am on your scheduled pickup day. Bagged trash in excess of your GDS cart must have a Craven County trash sticker on the bag for collection.

Acceptable Items:
Glass containers (clear, brown, and green), aluminum beverage cans, newspapers, plastic jugs, food cans

Unacceptable Items: 
Loose trash, yard waste or other non-recycling materials, broken glass or light bulbs, styrofoam.

*Place your recycling bin out no later than 6:00 AM on your scheduled pickup day.
Mixed Paper Collection
Acceptable Items: 
Envelopes, paper bags, writing paper, copy paper, magazines, colored ledger paper, chipboard, detergent boxes, cereal and tissue boxes.  *Place all mixed papers in a clean, brown, paper bag beside recycle bin.

Unacceptable Items: 
Frozen food containers, waxed food and juice cartons, loose mixed paper.
Cardboard Collection
Acceptable Items:
Dry, uncontaminated cardboard, broken down/flattened, no larger than 2 ft. by 3 ft.

Unacceptable Items:
Boxes not broken down or that contain shipping material; boxes with yard waste, trash, clothes or other miscellaneous items inside.

Bulk Waste Collection
Acceptable Items:
For appliances (such as freezers, refrigerators, washers, dryers, and/or water heaters): remove doors to appliances or place in a manner that ensures there  is no access by animals or small children. Furniture such as sofas, tables, mattresses, small appliances (microwaves, toasters, & vacuums), paint cans that are dry and have lids removed, wood, tires that have been separated from the rim.

Unacceptable Items:
Tires on the rim, window frames or doors with glass still in them, filled or partially filled paint cans, treated wood, mirrors, carpet, cement, concrete or brick items, roofing shingles, sheetrock, propane tanks, railroad ties, any demolition or construction debris (this should be removed by the contractor or homeowner), loose clothing (clothing must be bagged - no trash sticker is required).

*Place bulk waste in a neat pile away from guide wires, trees, fences and power and utility sources.  Bulk waste should be put out for collection no later than 6:00 AM on your scheduled pickup day.

Yard Waste
Acceptable Items:

Limbs no longer than 5 feet and no larger than 5 inches in diameter; leaves, pine straw and grass clippings must be bagged; small twigs and hedge clippings must be bagged; hedges and/or bushes must have excess dirt or sand removed from the root.  Loose leaves and pine straw are accepted curbside from November 1st through the last day of February.

Unacceptable Items:
Loose piles of leaves (except during loose leaf season), clippings, pine straw, any debris resulting from contracted services (including landscapers and tree services - this debris must be hauled off by the contractor or homeowner), sand or dirt piles.