Slider Accent

City of New Bern Recovery Info

  Questions about rebuilding your home or construction permitting
Call (252)639-7581.  

Henk Ovink, the world's only water ambassador, was in Washington, DC to talk about eastern North Carolina
and recommendations for flood relief design.  Check out the video for more on Mr. Ovink's  ideas for reducing or eliminating storm surge and flooding during future hurricanes. 

Substantial Amendment to Community Development Block Grant Program Being Considered to Help in Florence Recovery
A public hearing will be held on Tuesday, April 9th at 6pm in the Development Services conference room, 303 First Street, to consider amending the annual action plan for CDBG funds. The proposed change in fund distribution would help with public services, affordable housing, housing rehabilitation and demolition after hurricane Florence. Read the full draft version of the amendment here.

Public Notice: FEMA & NC Emergency Management consider City of New Bern application for five properties to receive Hazard Mitigation Grant.
Location of Proposed Work: Bloomfield Street, Alabama Avenue, Beech Street, Hazel Avenue & Nursery Road. This will be a voluntary acquisition program. The properties will be acquired using HMGP grant funds and demolished using PA funds. Once demolished, the properties will be deeded as open space.  Click here to read the entire public notice.

Disaster Case Management Program Approved for Florence Survivors

North Carolina residents whose lives were upended by Hurricane Florence may be eligible to get a case manager to help them with their recovery.  FEMA approved the State of North Carolina’s request for the Disaster Case Management program for use in the counties affected by the flooding that followed Hurricane Florence. The grant provides disaster case management services for up to 24 months.

Disaster Case Management is fully funded by FEMA, managed by North Carolina Emergency Management and implemented by Endeavors for the first six months. The program involves a partnership between a case manager and a disaster survivor to develop and carry out the survivor’s long-term recovery plan.  Long-term unmet needs may include financial, physical, emotional or spiritual well-being, as well as referrals for materials and/or manpower to provide support to survivors in their recovery. The case manager helps households return to a state of independence.  Individuals who may have suffered losses not covered by state or local government programs may benefit from the case management services.

The state has contracted with experienced case managers who will work in conjunction with faith-based and volunteer organizations to help meet survivors’ unmet needs.  To contact the Disaster Case Management service provider, please email: or call one of the two offices depending on where you live.

Residents of Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, Duplin, Greene, Hyde, Jones, Lenoir, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Wayne, and Wilson counties should call the Jacksonville office at (910) 378-4913.

Fees Waived for Vital Records Replacement

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is waiving fees for the replacement of vital records that were lost of damaged during hurricane Florence.  For more information, visit

Repair & Restoration of Historic Homes Damaged by Florence
Please be aware that all proposed modifications to properties within New Bern's Historic Districts are subject to approval by the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) or HPC Administrator for minor works.  However, "replacements in kind" are allowable. This means that the repairs make no modifications to what previously existed, but are simply replacements of damaged elements or materials in the same configurations as they existed.

Prior to beginning work for "replacement in kind" please contact Morgan Potts, City Planner & HPC Administrator at (252)639-7583. To read the letter from City Planner regarding storm repairs & modifications to historic homes, click here.

Historic Preservation Rehabilitation Tax Credits for Owner-Occupied Residential Properties
Historic Preservation Tax Incentives for Income-Producing Properties

Hurricane Florence Historic Properties Damage Report:  help the NC Department of Natural & Cultural Resources keep track of wind and flood damage to historic properties. Click this link to complete an easy online form documenting damage to your historic home. This is for documentation purposes only.

USDA: Hurricane Florence Displaced Household Fact Sheet

To visit our FEMA resources page, click here.
To visit our Small Business Administration (SBA) resources page, click here.