Search Search Toggle
Slider Accent

Apply for Utility Service

Need new service or need to make changes to your existing service? 

See below for all the information you need, or give our Customer & Payment Services office a call at (252)639-2750

Services Available:
Residential Utilties (Water, Sewer, Electric, Sanitation)
Commercial Utilties (Water, Sewer, Electric, Sanitation, Stormwater Permitting)

Applications for new service are available online, in the office, and via mail. A lease or copy of a purchase document and a photo ID are required with applications. A deposit may be required.  Service applications are considered complete when all documents and any deposit requirements are satisfied.  Applicants are notified by email or telephone of any additional documentation, deposit, or surety requirements.

Residential Utility Start Service Application
Business and Non-Residential Utility Start Service Application

In Office:
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call us at (252)639-2750.

Customer & Payment Services:
606 Fort Totten Drive
New Bern NC 28560

Customers must arrive at the office in time to complete their service requests by close of the business day at 5 p.m.

U.S. Mail:
Residential Utility Start Service Application (Printable Form)
Business and Non-Residential Utility Start Service Application (Printable Form)

Applications can be mailed to:
Customer & Payment Services
PO Box 1710
New Bern NC, 28563

If you have not received a response within a reasonable time required for mailing, please contact our office at UtilCustomerService@newbernnc.gov or call (252)639-2750.

Residential: applicant information is submitted to a credit check scoring company to determine if a utility deposit is required. A deposit is the equivalent of the two highest bills in the last 24 months at the location where service is sought.  Deposits are promptly refunded to residential customers after 18 months of excellent payment history or applied to the final bill when the account closes.  Residential deposit alternatives include excellent credit references from other utilities and a guarantor program where a current City of New Bern customer with excellent credit may choose to accept responsibility for the new applicant’s bill.  The guarantor must visit the office with the new applicant to accept responsibility at the time of application. More information regarding late payments, delinquency, and utility deposits can be found by reading "Utility Deposits: What Residents Need to Know.

Commercial: A commercial deposit is the equivalent of the two highest bills in the last 24 months at the location where service is sought. Commercial deposit requirements vary and are held in safe keeping for a 60 month minimum. Commercial deposit alternatives can include a Surety Bond on file OR Bank Issued Automatically Renewable Letter of Credit ($10,000 minimum or the two highest bills in the last 24 months, whichever is higher).

System Development Fees
If water and/or sewer service is requested for a new location or modifications are required due to the change of property use, then water and sewer System Development Fees may be required. 

The System Development Fees are designed to recover the future capital cost of replacing the water and/or sewer treatment and infrastructure capacity that is being consumed by new users of the system.  The fees are calculated by the City based on projected water and sewer demand of the proposed user. 

The System Development Fees are designed to recover the actual material costs for the City crews physically making the new connection.  The System Development Fees are based on meter/service line size and the proximity to the City's water/sewer mains. 

For questions about the System Development Fees or to obtain a quote for these fees, please contact our Department of Public Utilities Customer Relations Assistant at (252)639-7596.

I want to stop Utility Service.