Search Search Toggle
Slider Accent

How to Report a Sewer Backup

Reporting a Sewer Backup

It is very important to report sewer overflows and sewer backups as soon as possible. The Public Utilities Department will respond to any report of an overflow or sewer backup as quickly as possible and take the necessary action to mitigate any possible environmental impacts or public health concerns.

To report the backup Monday-Friday, 7:30a.m.-4:30 p.m. call (252)639-7541.
To report the backup after hours, or on weekends or holidays call (252)636-4070.

Sewer backups can be caused by clogs in the City's sewer system or problems with the customer’s service line. Once the City has been notified of a sewer backup, maintenance crews will be dispatched to check the City's sewer system for clogs. If it is determined that the problem is not in the city's system, a plumber may need to be contacted by the homeowner or property owner to investigate a clog in the private system. More detailed information about the City's responsibilities and the customer's responsibilities can be found in the New Bern Sewer Backup Information Package.